Saturday, November 22, 2008

Whats happening in the garden

Well the last week we have been lucky enough to have a bit of rain, the garden has appreciated it but so to have those pesky weeds, I have just been outside to identify a few little boxthorn seedlings I had thought might have been some sort of useful plant, but no just a noxious weed, green and healthy but a weed all the same. I also noticed that the caltrop is starting to germinate around the place so I will have to keep ontop of that and pull them out before they flower and set seed.
I have planted some tomato seedlings (a Black Russian, 4 Big Beef, and a Cherry tomato) and a capsicum seedling where the rocket was in the middle, and because I let it go to seed there is now little rocket plants coming up amongst the tomatoes but they will stay there if they survive past the two leaf stage, I'll just have to make sure I keep them pruned back the last lot ended up quite big. Things are a bit messy and need a bit of weeding, but thats life, no airbrushed photos around here.

The plants in the native garden are powering along, especially the acacia argyrophylla which I want to use as a screening plant, its about halfway up the fence now and its only been in for around a year, and that was as a tubestock, so I am quite impressed.

The lawn has magically truned from being dry and brown into being lush and green, helped along by a very timely (not at all intentional) application of blood and bone (by DP) a couple of days before we got rain a couple of weeks ago

3 comments:

Dr.Susan Sharma said...

It was a nice surprise to see your blog. I love gardening too and try to grow veggies and flowers in our little garden patches. Visit my blog "Wildbytes from India"

The chirping of birds and the scurrying of squirrels make it all worth the while.

jb said...

Wonderful blog!!- Rally enjoyed my visit- thank you for the lovely photos

jbENTO
Anadia -Aveiro-Portugal

Vanessa said...

Thank you guys for dropping by, I am glad that you have enjoyed your visit