Sunday, November 18, 2007

Moon Planting

Recently I have been looking into moon planting, while my knowledge is by no means extensive I thought I would share what I have been able to pull together from various sources and what I am trying to work to in my garden. Some people may think that this is a load of hogwash, but my thinking is that if the varying gravitational pull of the moon can affect things like the tides then why shouldn't it have an effect on other living things which are made of a large proportion of water, in this case plants.

The moon cycles through four phases as shown below, each of these phases has an influence on different parts of the plants and their growing phases. It has been noted that on the day of the change of the phase (new moon, first quarter, full moon, and third quarter) planting, or taking cuttings should be avoided for that day (12 hours before, and 12 hours after the time of the change). The times I have put in are South Australian time

Generally energy is focused either above ground or below ground. From the new moon to the full moon (waxing) energy is focused above the ground and from the full moon to the new moon (waning) energy is focused in the root area of plants.


New Moon

Fri 10th November 2007 9:34 am



Leafy plants, green manures, liquid fertilisers, mow or trim to promote growth


First Quarter
Sat 18th November 2007 9:03 am




Fruiting plants, green manures, liquid fertilisers, mow or trim to promote growth


Full Moon
Sun 25t
h November 2007 1:01 am



Root crops, also a good time to take cuttings as this requires good root development


Third Quarter
Sat 1st December 11:15 pm



Barren time.
Have a rest from sowing. Concentrate on weeding and pruning to restrict growth. Apply solid fertilisers.


New Moon
Mon 10th December 4:10 am

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

, nice start on Moon gardening. If you would like to link to my blog or get more information on Moon planting, please feel free to contact me. http;//www.cosmicgardening.blogspot.com