Saturday, April 12, 2008

Back to the veggie patch

Ok well the cooler weather seems to have set in so its "into the garden and lets try to make things grow"

It will be interesting to see how things go because I have not really ever grown winter veggies, last year I kept waiting for rain before I put anything in, and as such waited....and waited...and waited. This year I think I will ignore the rain, and go by weather, and water buy hand.

Last weekend I got out and cleared last years efforts and spread a bag of sheep poo and a bag of pig poo that I had bought at the local markets a few months beforehand and have been sitting on the back veranda waiting for me to get my butt into gear and use them. Then watered it in and hopefully this weekend I will get around to planting something in there. The soil looks and smells lovely now, it was very aged manure.

I am in two minds as to whether I should go out and buy some seedlings or if I should just plant seeds straight into the ground or if I should try to raise them as seedlings myself. I have heaps of seeds around the place, and planting them straight into the ground is definitely the easiest but then I have to work out some way of keeping the Toppies (crested pigions) from picking all my seeds out and eating them.

Before

After

No comments: