Friday, December 28, 2007

Making the most of Water

I just thought I would share what I do to save water. Since moving here I have noticed it is a lot drier than in Adelaide where I grew up. A once a week water of pot-plants in the middle of summer would be quite adequate, but here it is pushing it to go more than a couple of days. Although the weather is only a couple more degrees hotter, there is less rain and when we do get rain it seems to disappear from the ground in no time, plants seem to wilt very easily.

I am on mains water but I still like to conserve what water I can (especially seeing that I am paying for it, and it is about to go up)

So here is what I do...

Kitchen: I have got a square plastic basin which sits perfectly in the kitchen sink and when dishes or hands are rinsed, this water is collected. I have a normal garden type bucket sitting next to the fridge which the water gets tipped into (this is especially handy if I am feeling lazy and don't want to go all the way outside to empty the basin, I can keep adding to the bucket by the fridge and then make one trip) and this is then tipped into the garden each day.

Bathroom: We use the "if its yellow let it mellow" rule, reducing the amount of times we flush the toilet (using a dual flush). I have just started using the laundry "soaking bucket" in the shower, it is a 25L round tub which I put in the bottom of the shower and stand in it when showering, collecting the majority of the water, this then goes onto the garden aswell. I have also found that my showers are shorter because I can actually "see" how much water I am using.

Laundry: All the washing water (when I remember to connect the hose) gets pumped onto the back lawn, which is about 5mx5m under the clothes line and is the only bit of lawn I have.

Outside: I have an unwritten law for the non productive garden areas "if it cant survive on minimal water (mostly rain) it doesn't survive". All my plants in pots are grouped together, so that they can be watered together with the watering can.

What does everyone else do to make the most of their water?

6 comments:

Belinda said...

The most useful thing that I have found in the water saving realm are what I call "water carrots".

They fit onto the opening of a soft drink bottle. I simply cut the bottom off the bottle and it allows me to put 2 liters of water into the pot without having to worry about it running down the sides of the pot if things got a little too dried out.

Best Wishes for 2008
Kind Regards
Belinda

Vanessa said...

Hi Belinda, do you know if they make them to fit onto 3L milk containers, I have heaps of them around but I very rarely have soft drink bottles

Belinda said...

Unfortunately I haven't seen a version for plastic milk containers.

We don't really do softdrink either so they are not a common item in our home either.Personally I just put the call out to family and friends when I buy more carrots and I quickly find myself offered many more than I need particularly at this time of year.

Kind Regards
Belinda

Unknown said...

I do everything you do to save on water consumption. I have a 3000l rainwater tank that I use to water the vegies and for the chooks.

I also only ever use the half flush on the toilet when I do flush it and have never had a problem with it not flushing properly. This way you can save a lot more water!!

Matron said...

Goodonya! we must all do our bit. Here in England we say, "if it's not a poo, let it brew!" Happy New Year!

Scarecrow said...

With your 3 litre milk containers, just make a small hole in the lid, cut off the bottoms, half bury them in the ground (or pot)lid down, then fill with water. If they don't empty very fast put more holes in and if they empty too fast next time make a smaller hole, or put some sand in the bottle to slow the flow!
It's an easy way to slowly water anything in the garden or in pots. I'm putting them around plants that need extra help in this heat wave.

Here's hoping for a cooler and wetter 2008!