Sunday, December 9, 2007

Shade for The Chooks

At the moment here we are getting hot dry weather (maximum temperatures around 36C to 38C is not uncommon). Where the chooks enclosure is located, gets shade from a date palm in the afternoon but until around 3pm most of their enclosure is in full sun. To create a bit of shade for them I had used some of the palm fronds and laid them against the side, the chooks loved this and this corner has now become their favourite spot. To make it a little more permanent, as the wind kept blowing them over, yesterday I tied them to the mesh using some garden string. So far so good and another thing saved from landfill.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

wow! that's an awesome chook pen, did you build it yourself?

Thta's a great idea using the palm fronds :)

Vanessa said...

Hi Ali, thanks. Yep I built it myself with a bit of help from DP. The water pipe was lying around the yard when I moved in, and their house is an old welded frame that we had lying around, the top is a door that was an extra that came with a shed, with hinges so it provides easy access for eggs and cleaning, and the colour bond was some freebie left over bits from putting up a new fence.

Anonymous said...

Hi Butterfly Girl,

I love what you are achieving in your garden. I found you today through Ali's blog and I'll definitely be back. I love Aussie bloggers.

I'll pop you on my blogroll too to remind me to visit.

Kate

Vanessa said...

Hi Kate. Welcome to my blog, I hope you enjoy your time here.

Belinda said...

Hi ButterflyGirl,

That is such a great and functional chook house.

The palm fronds are a great idea and considering your heat I would have to think that extending your palm frond area as more fronds become available could only make your girls more comfortable.

Kind Regards
Belinda

Unknown said...

you certainly did well building that chook pen!! It's HUGE and looks great too :)

Vanessa said...

Hi Belinda and Ali, thank you both

Belinda, that is my plan to extend the fronds, that will also mean that in winter (if it rains again) they will have shelter from the rain.

Ali, when I designed it I wanted it to be bigger than what I needed so that I could add more chooks later if I wanted to, also I wanted it to be big enough for humans to comfortably get inside, and minimise the amount of material I had to buy, and also wanted to make use of the full length of those pipes, I couldnt bring myself to cut any more than necessary.

Jenny said...

Hi. The chook pen is fabulous.
I will watch your garden development with interest... the ground is so dry looking!