Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Spring Planting

Ok, well September is here and that means it is now officially spring, so before it disappears I thought I'd better start to get some things growing.

So last night I found a bag of potting mix that was hiding in the shed and some tube pots that I acquired from somewhere around the tracks (I think they might have been use for trees for life seedlings or something).

I put them in a 4L ice cream container, which will fit 16 of these little pots, nice and snugly, and that will catch the water in the bottom helping to keep the seedlings watered, now just to make sure I don't over water them and drown them. I am hoping that these pots which are bigger than a punnet but smaller than a proper pot will allow the seedlings to grow nice and strong and develop good roots before they are left to fend for themselves in the garden.

I have two ice cream containers of pots, so 32 pots in all (at the moment) which I have planted:
  • Luffa (ALS)
  • Spaghetti Squash (ALS)
  • Broccoli - green sprouting (DT brown)
  • Pak Choi (DT brown)
  • Purple Pak Choi (seed savers)
  • Cone Flower - Echinacea (ALS)
  • Cucumber - Lebanese (ALS)
  • Lettuce - Everlasting (Greenpatch - ALS)
  • Onion - Red Stem Welsh (Greenharvest)
  • Green Apple Cucumber (ALS)
  • Italian Parsley (self collected - Adelaide)
  • Unknown - I think it is Sweet Basil (self collected - Adelaide)
For labels I have recycled an empty milk bottle and cut it into strips about 1cm by 10cm long, which I have written on with a thin permanent marker (like the CD pens) and then stuck into the side of the pots, hopefully I will be able to reuse these when I go to plant more later, when these ones go into the garden. They're not all labelled because they are in rows, once they start to grow it should be obvious.

No comments: